Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bald Eagle

Today was a beautiful spring day here in Minnesota. I enjoyed a hike with my family this evening and it was so nice not to have to worry about boots and winter coats. We even packed a picnic supper, the first one of the year.
On the way home, we spotted a bald eagle perched in a tree right next to the road. Such an impressive bird! What a comeback that species has made. It is a testiment to the importance of protecting wildlife habitat. I love that the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge (30,000 acres!!) provides a safe haven for so many creatures.
Seeing the bald eagle made me think of the wildlife drive. As soon as the eaglets have hatched and have had a few days to acclimate to their surrounding the drive will be open for the season. I have heard a tentative date of Sunday April 27th. I'll let you know a for sure date as soon as I find out.

Bethany

http://www.exploresherburne.org/

No comments: